Today, the news says the economy is a mess, people are having trouble paying their bills, and the banks are being cautious about lending. And they say that all this trouble came from lending that was just too free and easy.
And yet, people are still buying homes with nothing down!
Tempted? Here are five ways that are proven to work…
1. Get a Veterans Administration (VA) loan. This is a great solution for active duty military and former service members. Got orders to Fort Meade, NSA, USNA, Andrews AFB, Annapolis Naval Station, the Pentagon, or another Maryland duty station? Consider a VA loan.
2. Get 100% financing through your credit union. Navy Federal Credit Union, for example, offers 100% financing at competitive rates, and membership is open to many people other than service members, including DoD civilian employees, DoD contractors assigned to US government installations, and family members. Here’s the eligibility checklist.
3. Get help from your employer. Many employees, of companies and the State of Maryland, are eligible for no-interest loans and employer matching funds for downpayments. The CDA programs including “House Keys for Employees” and the “BRAC Match” programs can cover the entire downpayment. Check with your Human Resources Department at work.
4. Negotiate for the seller to pay closing costs. This is very common in our market, especially for homes priced below $350,000.
5. Get a gift from a friend or family member to help with the downpayment.
If you know someone who doesn’t yet own their own home, please share this information with them! (If you want, feel free to delete the part about the gift.)
Call me today for all your Annapolis real estate needs.
Carlyn Lowery, Associate Broker, eXp Realty, Annapolis Real Estate, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, 443-569-3977 or 888-860-7369 x146